Are you loaded up with tons of leftover turkey after yesterday’s celebration? Lucky you! When you tire of the usual turkey sandwich, throw together this poultry and power greens risotto for a satisfying, one-pot meal. I make this riff on basic risotto all year long with leftover roasted chicken, so there’s no need to wait until the holiday season to enjoy this dish!
Poultry and Power Greens Risotto
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: About 20 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4 as a main dish
For a heartier or more veggie-heavy risotto feel free to increase the amount of chicken and greens (up to two bags) called for here!
- 1 recipe basic risotto, cook just until al dente, before the final addition of broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups (170 grams) cubed leftover cooked chicken or turkey
- 1, 5-ounce bag Trader Joe’s Power to the Greens Mix (Baby Kale, Baby Swiss Chard and Baby Spinach)¹
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heavy cream or half and half (optional)
- Maldon sea salt or Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
Stir cubed chicken or turkey into the risotto along with the final 1/2 cup broth; continue to cook, stirring often, just until meat is hot. Turn off heat, stir in greens — they’ll wilt from the residual heat — followed by Parmesan and pepper. If desired, loosen it up a little by stirring in a little heavy cream or half and half (bonus: it will be extra rich and creamy). Season to taste with salt and additional pepper; serve immediately.